This £603K, 2-year project commenced on the 1st November 2020, and is led by DB Group (Holdings) Limited (DBG), together with a supply chain orientated consortium of a piling contractor, J Murphy and Sons (Murphy Ground Engineering), a precast pile manufacturer, Centrum Pile Limited, and BRE, an impartial centre of expertise that also develops application guidance for the construction industry, who will carry out the laboratory testing essential for updating guidance and support DBG in programme management.
The project has six Work Packages:
- WP 1 – Programme Management
- WP2 – Barriers, Requirements, Stakeholder Engagement and Dissemination
- WP3 – Mix Designs
- WP4 – Durability Testing
- WP5 – Trials (precast and cast in situ)
- WP6 – Business Models and Next Steps
DBG and project partners will work with standards bodies to address key standards-related barriers to market uptake. An Industry stakeholder group (regulators, manufacturers, end-users) will help guide outputs (e.g. BRE guidance documents) and address barriers to mainstream use.
The project will:
- Develop, assess and demonstrate AACM concrete formulations meeting user needs for foundations (buildings and infrastructure).
- Demonstrate and assess use of AACMs in piling to de-risk adoption.
- Carry out laboratory tests to assess durability of AACM concrete formulations in sulfate-rich conditions (and other key performance characteristics), and compare with those of PC-based and other AACM-based concretes, as a driver for new industry-wide guidance/standards (such as BS8500, BRE IP 17/05 and BRE SD1).
- Assess business models and barriers to market and address these.
- Convene an industry Stakeholder group via A3CM to support the production of new industry guidance.